Misanthropic Meanderings

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

See the title? There you go.

Monday, August 03, 2009

Farmer in the dell

Here we are in high summer and the garden is going along it's merry way. It's the most meditative thing I do besides Warcraft.
I must say, I wasn't sure if I could grow anything besides a tomato and some weak ass peppers. The idea of growing something that would eventually make it to my table was as far away as that size 2 swimsuit from Victoria's Secret. It's highly possible it could happen, but acts of god seem to be required.
But, here's this summer's food report.


about 3lbs of cherry tomatoes, unfortunately, I let too many ripen on the vine and lost a few. Not that I'm running out of cherry tomatoes.



I already ate this season's first oro blanco eggplant. And it was delicious.



One of the first squash. The damn bush is getting bigger and bigger tho.



Considering how many blossoms are on my two squash vines, I'm thinking there will be a lot of succotash.



And this pumpkin vine is taking advantage of both the free trellis and a pine tree.



This is the arugula, which has been hacked down to more manageable size. Twice. It grows like a weed.



And here's to the fall's future eats, my potato patch! I think there's some yukon gold in there and I can't wait.

I think everyone will have to think about ways they can provide for themselves, no matter how small the space. It's been hard, but it has been worth it.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathon Howard said...

Diana is stoked to start our own garden once we move into the house (though the yard is really small...) Everything looks delicious, and you should know how jealous I am...

Not jealous of you having to stay at work til 2 in the morning though... rough!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home